Click on link above to listen ^^^^^^
Click link above to listen^^^^^^
handed, hot-footing, joke-busting kids are discovered goofing and shooting hoops on some cracked concrete court in the New York City borough, then whisked to sudden fame in cities around the world on the basis of their awesome tricks and mugging comedy. But the name is deceiving. The Globetrotters actually started when five South Side Chicagoans teamed up with a 5’3” Jewish guy to play basketball games in the local gyms of small-town Illinois.
The five players were graduates of the renowned basketball program at Wendell Phillips High School, and wanted to play semi-pro. Somehow they came in contact with Abe Saperstein, a North Sider who loved sports and worked as an athletic director in the Chicago Parks System. In 1926, Saperstein became their manager (and substitute player, if someone got injured), and the team set off to play in nearby towns such as Hinckley, Illinois. They had a winning record of 101-6 in their first full season.
In 1928, the fledgling team finagled a residency at the new Savoy Ballroom in Bronzeville, where musicians such as Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington played. There they became the Savoy Big Five, but Saperstein and several of the players quickly left after a dispute over money and once again rebranded themselves, as the Harlem Globetrotters. The name was a marketing gimmick concocted by Saperstein: “Globetrotters” made it sound as if they had an international schedule, and “Harlem” denoted the center of African American culture, telegraphing the makeup of the team to his small-town white audiences, many of whom had never seen black basketball players before.
The world-traveling, internationally known Globetrotters of today are very different from the team at its beginning
Those same audiences, surprised and delighted by the Globetrotters’ fast-break style, often shunned the black players after the game, despite the joy they got from watching them play. As the team gained popularity, it also grew in skill. The barring of African Americans from the professional basketball leagues meant the Globetrotters had their pick of black talent, and signed such players as the clowning “Goose” Tatum and fleet Marque Haynes, who eventually became the first Globetrotter to be inducted to the Basketball Hall of Fame.
The team’s skill eventually led them to win the World Professional Basketball Tournament in 1940, and then to beat the best team in the all-white precursor to the NBA in 1948. The following year, two leagues merged to form the NBA, yet still professional basketball remained unintegrated, despite the talent evinced by the Globetrotters and other black players. (Jackie Robinson broke the color line in baseball in 1947.)
Then in 1950, the Boston Celtics drafted Chuck Cooper as well as Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton, who played for the Globetrotters, and professional basketball started to integrate. Rumor has it that Saperstein had a deal with the NBA in its first years to keep the best black players for the Globetrotters to ensure that the NBA would remain all-white.
Wilt Chamberlain played one season for the Globetrotters, which he called the happiest year of his lifeAnd there have been other muted accusations of racism – or at least exploitative business practices – against Saperstein, such as disputes with players over wages. Especially in the ‘60s, the Globetrotters began to be criticized by some in the black community for being Uncle Toms, degrading themselves as buffoonish minstrels for the entertainment of white people.
But the team also did offer some valedictory moments for African Americans, as on a 1951 trip to Germany. The track star Jesse Owens, who had won gold medals at the 1936 Berlin Olympics but was snubbed by Hitler, occasionally helped promote the Globetrotters. Saperstein invited him to a game in 1951, and he was welcomed there by the mayor of Berlin, who embraced him, saying, “In 1936, Hitler refused to give you his hand. Today I give you both of mine.”
The Globetrotters continued to incubate talent – Wilt Chamberlain played with them for one season, which he called the happiest year of his life – and grow in popularity, traveling to more than80 countries. In 1966, Saperstein died of a sudden heart attack, and the team was sold. In 1976, the team moved its base from Chicago. By the ‘80s, despite television shows, it was declining, and in 1993 it was bought again, this time by a former player: Mannie Jackson, who became the first African American to own a major sports franchise. Jackson revitalized the franchise with a new emphasis on competitive games as well as corporate marketing deals.
And thus the Chicago team with a New York name continues to this day.
Firefighters are grappling with searing heat as they struggle to contain a huge wildfire in California as western states remain in the grip of a fierce heatwave.
It comes after a large part of the US west baked over the weekend in triple-digit temperatures which are expected to continue into the start of this week.
On Saturday, Death Valley in southeastern California’s Mojave Desert reached 53C (128F) according to National Weather Service’s reading at Furnace Creek.
The temperature was only slightly lower than the one recorded a day earlier when the location reached 54C (130F) – the highest there since 1913 when Furnace Creek desert hit 57C (134F), considered the highest temperature on Earth.
The growing wildfire along the state’s border with Nevada forced major highways to close, while state power operators urged people to conserve energy after a huge wildfire in neighboring Oregon disrupted the flow of electricity from three major transmission lines.
The California Independent System Operator, which manages the state’s power grid, asked consumers to “conserve as much electricity as possible” to avoid any outages.
Western US states including California are fast sinking deeper into drought, sending the risk of fire sky-high in many areas.
A small plane crashed on Saturday in Arizona during a survey of wildfire in rural Mohave County, killing both crew members.
The victims were identified as Air Tactical Group Supervisor Jeff Piechura, 62, a retired Tucson-area fire chief who was working for the Coronado National Forest, and Matthew Miller, 48, a pilot with Falcon Executive Aviation contracted by the US Forest Service.
Meanwhile, the Bootleg Fire in Oregon spread to 224 square miles as it raged through heavy timber in the Fremont-Winema National Forest, disrupting service on three transmission lines providing up to 5,500 megawatts of electricity to neighboring California.
The wildfire in California is the largest wildfire the state has seen this year.
Named the Beckwourth Complex Fire – a combination of two lightning-caused blazes burning north of Lake Tahoe – it grew by a third on Sunday to cover 134 square miles.
But firefighters working in temperatures that topped 38C (100F) were able to gain some ground and doubled containment to 20%.
People were warned to not stop and take pictures of the wildfires near the small town of Doyle in California’s Lassen County.
“You are going to impede our operations if you stop and look at what’s going on,” said the fire’s operations section chief Jake Cagle.
Elsewhere, a wildfire in southeast Washington grew to almost 60 square miles as it blackened grass and timber as it raced into the Umatilla National Forest.
And on Friday, Idaho’s governor Brad Little declared a wildfire emergency, sending the state’s National Guard to help fight fires sparked after lightning storms swept across the drought-stricken region.
A 65-year-old man was left with minor injuries after a reticulated python bit him while he was sitting on the toilet.
He was said to have felt a “pinch in the area of his genitals” before noticing a five foot (1.6 meters) snake beneath him in the toilet bowl at his home in the Austrian city of Graz.
The python, a constrictor native to Asia which can grow to a length of nearly 30ft (nine meters), is thought to have found its way into the toilet via the network of drains
“Shortly after he sat on the toilet the Graz resident – by his own account – felt a ‘pinch’ in the area of his genitals,” the police said in a statement.
The victim needed treatment in hospital for minor injuries.
Although the snake’s suspected route into the toilet could not be confirmed, it is thought to have escaped from a neighbors apartment.
A reptile expert contacted by the emergency services removed the snake from the toilet, cleaned it and returned it to its owner.
A 24-year-old neighbour, who owns 11 snakes, has been reported to the prosecutors’ office on suspicion of negligently causing bodily harm, the police added.
Reticulated pythons are the world’s largest snakes and do not attack humans by nature.
However, they will constrict or bite if they feel threatened or if they mistake something for food.
Johanna: July 10, 2021
When my husband and I first got together, he had a bad drinking problem, especially liquor. He would become a different person and not remember what would happen or what was said. This was one of those times.
I was across the country packing and planning a move across the country to be with him. He went out bar hopping got drunk, and this is what he remembers from that night.
At one bar, he ended up running into a girl that he had hooked up with various times before me. She had this whole sob story about having just gotten an abortion and needed to be around someone. My husband bought the story and brought her over to his place. He told her in his words, explicitly, that he was not interested in anything sexual or flirtatious as he was very much in love with me and wouldn’t do anything to mess that up.
She said that’s fine and that she understands, and they fell asleep in the same bed. He is so drunk during this interaction that he blacks out and doesn’t remember anything else. That is until he wakes up and sobers up from the pleasure that she forced on him. He doesn’t remember consenting, only waking up from the excitement of her mounting him.
He yells at her and calls her a rapist. She even almost has the cops called on her from the amount of yelling and drama she was causing. He promises that he never was in contact with her again other than random messages she would send, but he would not respond. He stayed friends with her on social media because he says he was afraid that she would go “crazy on his pregnant wife.”
He never told me about this until three years later. I confronted her and asked if he was telling the truth. I didn’t think that a rapist would admit to it, but I wanted to hear what she would have to say. As soon as I contacted her, she took a screenshot and sent it to my husband, then blocked me.
She claims to him that she doesn’t remember that night at all. We have been having problems, and he talked garbage about me to her, mostly because he says he was angry that I insinuated that he lied. He even accepted sympathy from her for our marriage problems. He says he regretted this and apologized and sends her a message saying what she did was abuse, plain and simple and that he was blocking her.
Honestly, I don’t know how to feel about this. On the one hand, I’m angry at the woman because I want to believe him, and she is a rapist. I do believe men can be raped, and from what he describes, it is rape. The part that I’m having a problem with, though, is that he invited an ex over to comfort her, sleep in the same bed as her, but then claims he is loyal, but sleeping in the same bed isn’t being faithful.
When he’s drunk, he doesn’t remember things. What if he did consent? But if that’s the case, then that isn’t consenting. I’m so confused.
The death toll in the condo collapse in Surfside, Florida, rose to 90 on Sunday, officials said in a news conference.Seventy-one of the victims have been identified and their next of kin have been notified, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.
A son’s unanswered text message, two sisters buried together, a newlywed couple and a 60-year-old love story: What we know about the collapse victimsThere are now 217 people accounted for and 31 others “potentially unaccounted for,” she said.
Recovering the victims has been much swifter after the search operation shifted its focus from rescue to recovery. Levine Cava said teams are making “incredible progress,” and as of Sunday morning, more than 14 million pounds of concrete and debris have been removed from the site.
Ten additional victims, all of whom were recovered between July 6 and 9, were identified by Miami-Dade officials in a statement Sunday.
They were identified as Maria Gabriela Camou, 64; Julio Cesar Velasquez, 66; Lorenzo De Oliveira Leone, 5; Alfredo Leone, 48; Maria Torre, 76; Richard Augustine, 77; Luis Sadovnic, 28; Edgar Gonzalez, 42; Alexia Maria Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 9; and Anna Sophia Pettengill Lopez Moreira, 6.The recovery effort is still delicate work, Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett said, telling reporters that search and recovery workers have “even found unbroken wine bottles in the rubble and recovered them.”Miami-Dade Fire Chief Alan Cominsky echoed that statement. The process of removing debris is faster for the section of the building that remained standing after the collapse and was brought down in a controlled demolition last week amid concerns it posed a threat to search and rescue teams.
The evidence from the collapsed Surfside condo is growing by the day, but the investigation could take years “On the rubble pile where we’re still in our search and recovery, it’s still a methodical process,” Cominsky said. “The crews there, they’re monitoring, they’re hand digging, As we’re delayering, it’s a slow process. “Other personal belongings, like rings, continue to be recovered as well, Burkett said. Those items are being “returned to the site storage area, categorized, photographed and saved for the families.” Burkett and Cominsky both acknowledged disappointment as rescue teams have accessed the condo tower’s stairwells, which they had hoped would be an area of refuge and perhaps provide the best chance for voids in the rubble where someone could survive. “The stairwell is always a primary — the stability of how the stairwell is built, it’s hardened better than other areas per se. So with a collapse that’s where you have your greatest void space, your greatest possibility,” Cominsky said. “Unfortunately, with this type of collapse and everything coming down, it just minimized those opportunities.”
Some of the search and rescue task forces that had been deployed to Surfside from out of state or out of the country are beginning to leave, including a team from Israel. Levine Cava said the team would depart Sunday after she presented two of its leaders with keys to Miami-Dade County to recognize their service to the community.Comsinky said a team from Virginia is also in the process of demobilizing, and that teams from New Jersey and Ohio are on “standby” and may begin that process soon. Florida Task Force 1, Florida Task Force 2 and teams from Indiana and Pennsylvania remain on scene
Eric: June 25, 2021
I found out This past Monday that my wife of 12 years was having an emotional affair with and old flame from her past. He was her first boyfriend. They were chatting via Facebook and apparently sexting too. They were going to physically meet up but I caught it before it happened. My WS was dumb enough to ask if I minded if she went to dinner with her old BF who was coming to town in a few days. Im a very trusting husband and said yes at first but had strong reservations. Later that night I had a strong dream that we were fighting ( we never fight) about her going to dinner with this guy. That dream was so strong that I started digging into things the next day . I felt horrible because this is a woman who I have trusted for 12 years with my full trust.
On her Facebook and found this guy ( I only knew his first name) Once I found him in her friends I found their chats. I was so shocked, I could not believe what I was reading! She was telling him that she loved him on every chat and she was even calling him, things she called me! This was so devastating to me. They had also talked about how they were going to see each other.
I confronted her when she got home from work that day. She said it was only harmless flirting at first but I kept telling her I knew more than she knew I knew. I called a bluff and asked her about “the sexting” when I wasnt even sure if she was sexting him or not, she admitted to it! I asked her how long was this going on and she said at first a year, then said it was maybe a year and a half. She still tried to say that it was just something stupid she was doing and it meant nothing. My gut tells me different. The inflection in the chats, along with all the emojis tell me this relationship was very serious. She also denied that she would have gotten physical with him, she claimed that she had decided after all that she was not going to dinner with him early that morning after she asked me. I dont believe that one bit.
Im devastated and still cannot believe this is happening. 12 years together, never a fight, she was my best friend, we did everything together! Now this! Im so so heartbroken and numb.
- TrappyGuest June 20, 2021 at 3:56 am
- |My wife and I have been married for ten years, we both used to have friends, but they kind of got lost in translation over some time.About five years ago and every once in a while, since then, my wife brought up the fact that she would like to cuddle someone just for the connection and felt it would bring (not sexual).
- Currently, I’m away from my wife for a little bit, and recently she brought up the fact that she doesn’t have friends and misses being able to talk to other people. I’m ok with that, I trust her, and she has that right as a person.
- She met a male friend online talked for about a week, including a video chat here and there, and he came over to meet her in person this last weekend (Mind you she grew up with three brothers so is naturally closer to males as friends).
- My mother in law is also at my house to stay with my wife to help out with the kids while I’m away, and she was in the picture when he came over.My wife has anxiety, and he has anxiety, so the 3 of them (wife, mother in law, male friend) were drinking to relax and just have a good night, and they did, nothing sexual happened just a simple hug when he left, and my wife happily told me the next day.
- She brought the cuddle idea up again, except doing it with him, no sex, no foreplay, just cuddling and watching a movie at my house. I researched this extensively and am entirely aware of how cuddling can make a woman feel, and it is not sexual, hell, I like to cuddle.
- I trust my wife wouldn’t cheat or get feelings, and she says that he wants to be friends (he told my wife his life story, and he sounds super lonely and depressed). She also brought the idea up of all of us cuddling once I get back. I told her to take it slow, don’t have him come over too often, and next time don’t drink to feel the situation out better.
- I love the fact that my wife has a friend she can talk to a male or not, and I’m happy for her I don’t know how to take the cuddling thing if they were to do it every so often (downstairs on the couch fully clothed watching a movie).
- She also brought up that once I meet him in person, that we could all possibly have a threesome after some time (I’m curious). Still, nothing sexual would ever happen unless I was there (we had had one before with a different person and enjoyed it, no issues on marriage). I’m pretty sure it’s because of the fear of my wife leaving me, but I’m not sure I can’t pinpoint it, I know this is something she’s wanted for years, and I want to give it to her, and I want our marriage to be the best it can.
- I have not talked to the guy via text or anything but plan on it very soon so I can get to know him and hopefully become friends as well. My wife and I live our relationship on trust and honesty, so she tells me everything she feels and vice versa. I was just wondering what you guys thought about my situation, and any advice would help.
- Aria: July 5, 2021 at 6:26 am
- Last week I found out my boyfriend had a trio with my best friend and sister in my apartment while I was fast asleep in the next room. This happened about two weeks prior.
- My best friend decided to come clean as she felt terrible about it. However, she also told me after they got finished.
- My boyfriend and sister jumped into the shower together afterward, and according to her, they did it again in the shower all while I’m still asleep in another room.
- My sister had asked her to join in again, but my best friend said no and went to sleep. Since finding out, I’ve cut off my boyfriend and my sister but don’t know if I can keep my best friend in my life. Although she finally came out about it and showed remorse. I’m still hurt about what she did with him and don’t know if I could trust her again.I confronted my sister and boyfriend, and they originally denied it but have since told the truth. That they did it twice! Although I suspect it’s been more than that. I believe they were hooking up constantly during our relationship, but they claim it was only twice.I can’t believe they acted normally the following morning as nothing had happened. My best friend was acting strange, but I thought nothing of it.My sister had reached out to me through a fake account and, instead of an apology or show remorse for what she did, said since I didn’t want a relationship with her anymore, she may as well go ahead and be in a relationship with my ex-boyfriend! She then proceeded to tell me how my ex-boyfriend told her that it was better with her and how he thought she was the hotter sister. He even told me what they did in the shower. She’s disgusting.My boyfriend has also tried reaching out to me, begging for me to come back to him. A family member informed me yesterday that my sister has tagged my ex in relationship status on Facebook and put a picture of them together as her profile picture. She even uploaded a picture of them in bed together. He was not dressed, and she had a bracelet on.The disrespect is insane. I’m heartbroken and will never speak to my sister again. Now, what should I do with my best friend? Should I continue my friendship with her or cut her off too?
- I need help, please!