The man recently confessed to Chicago prosecutors that the “I Believe I Can Fly” singer’s team forked over about $1 million to prevent the tape from going public in the past — raising the question of how the recording wound up in Avenatti’s possession.
Cardi B is facing criticism on social media after admitting to some scandalous behavior in her past.
While streaming on Instagram Live, the Grammy winnervoiced her frustrations with people who claim she doesn’t deserve her success. Cardi then attempted to prove she paid her dues but ended up giving critics more ammunition by admitting she drugged and robbed men for money.
“Niggas must’ve forgot, my nigga, the shit that I did to muthafuckin’ survive,” she said. “I had to go strip. I had to go, ‘Oh yeah, you wanna fuck me? Yeah yeah yeah, let’s go back to this hotel.’ And I drugged niggas up and I robbed them. That’s what I used to do. Nothing was muthafuckin’ handed to me, my nigga. Nothing!”
The lawyer who defended R. Kelly in a decade-old child pornography case said Thursday that the R&B legend was guilty of those charges — and even received anti-libido drugs to help contain his urges.
“He was guilty as hell!” Ed Genson, 77, told the Chicago Sun-Times from his Deerfield, Ill., home.
But the former criminal defense attorney said he believes the “Trapped in the Closet” singer hasn’t done anything “inappropriate” in years.
“I’ll tell you a secret,” he said. “I had him go to a doctor to get shots, libido-killing shots. That’s why he didn’t get arrested for anything else.”
Genson, who has terminal bile duct cancer, told the paper he doesn’t feel ambivalent about getting Kelly acquitted and keeping him out of prison in 2008.
The federal R. Kelly investigations are expanding — agents specializing in human trafficking cases have now reached out to Kelly’s former stylist, who has ties to a couple of the singer’s exes.
Sources close to celebrity stylist Kash Howard tell TMZ … Dept. of Homeland Security agents contacted Kash Wednesday and wanted to schedule a sit-down with her. It appears the call was prompted by a video that popped up all over YouTube this week.
In the video, Kash is behind the wheel of a car with 2 of Kelly’s ex-girlfriends, Halle Calhoun and Vonecia Andrews, as they talk to a media outlet about their relationships with the singer. Vonecia, aka Vee, was sobbing throughout the video, which our sources say Kash recorded last year.
A 47-year-old woman from suburban Chicago paid the entirety of R Kelly’s bail, allowing the embattled R&B singer to be freed from jail as he awaits his trial on sexual abuse charges.
According to The Chicago Tribune, the unidentified woman — described as “a friend” of Kelly’s — posted the bail — 10% of the $1 million bond set by a judge on Monday.
Since his arrest on Friday, Kelly struggled to come up with the funds to cover his bail. His lawyer, Steve Greenberg, told the judge that the singer’s finances are a “mess” due to his ongoing legal issues.
After learning of Kelly’s financial plight, some of his female fans reportedly reached out to the county clerk offering to cover the cost of his bail.
Upon his release last night, a seemingly unfazed Kelly made a beeline to his favorite McDonald’s — a place where he previously found himself in trouble after picking up an underage girl on her prom night.
Kelly is due back in court on March 22nd. If convicted of the charges in Chicago, he faces between 40-70 years in prison.
Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul’s office says it is reviewing the legality of the sentence handed down last week to former Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke for the murder of Laquan McDonald.
“We are going to do a careful review of the record and the law and make a determination based on our review,” Maura Possley, a spokeswoman for the office, said Wednesday afternoon.
Raoul, sworn in as attorney general this month, would not say whether he believes Van Dyke’s punishment is fair.
Cook County Judge Vincent Gaughan last Friday sentenced Van Dyke to 81 months in prison — less than half of what prosecutors had sought. Van Dyke could be released in three years.
Outside the courtroom, Special Prosecutor Joseph McMahon said he was “satisfied” with the sentence.
“We achieved our goal of justice and holding Jason Van Dyke accountable for his actions,” McMahon said.
But many police-accountability activists viewed the sentence as a setback.
A jury in October convicted Van Dyke of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, one for each shot into McDonald.
Some legal experts say the best way to challenge Van Dyke’s sentence would be to seek a “mandamus” order from the Illinois Supreme Court. That court could find Gaughan violated the law by basing the punishment on the second-degree murder count, a Class 1 felony, instead of the battery counts, which carry a more serious designation, Class X.
A spokesman for McMahon on Wednesday said the special prosecutor is “still reviewing” the sentence. The spokesman would not say whether McMahon asked McDonald’s mother, Tina Hunter, for her view on whether the sentence should be challenged.
McDonald’s great uncle Rev. Marvin Hunter, the family’s spokesman, said “justice was not served” and accused Gaughan of treating Van Dyke as if the crime were a “minor drug offense.”
A staffer in Gaughan’s chambers on Wednesday said the judge declined to comment on the sentencing.
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx did not answer what she thinks of the sentence or whether she would play a role in challenging it. A consideration for Foxx is her predecessor Anita Alvarez’s recusal of the office from the case after civil-rights groups accused her of pro-police bias.
Locke Bowman, an attorney who led the push for a special prosecutor in the case, said the Supreme Court has authority to toss out Gaughan’s “illegal” ruling that second-degree murder is the greater offense.
“If you turned the tables and if a young African-American man had regrettably fired 16 shots at a Chicago police officer and killed him,” Bowman said, “the judicial system would impose a massively punitive sentence.”
On Thursday, Van Dyke’s attorney slammed Raoul for reviewing the sentence.
“Another politician has chosen to exploit the tragic death of Laquan McDonald for his own political gain,” the attorney, Dan Herbert, said in a statement. “The judge in this case carefully considered the arguments made and issued the correct ruling under the law.”Van Dyke’s defense team says it is exploring its own options for challenging the sentence as well as the conviction.
Van Dyke began shooting McDonald, 17, as the teen carried a knife and walked away from officers on a South Side road in 2014. Many of the 16 shots hit the teen after he had collapsed to the pavement.
A police dashcam video contradicted reports by officers that McDonald was attacking Van Dyke.
Cook County Judge Domenica Stephenson last week acquitted three officers of charges they covered up for Van Dyke
Two men, including one caught on video carrying a rifle while running through an Oak Park neighborhood, were apprehended by police on Wednesday morning, according to Oak Park police. Officials said the men were seen abandoning a stolen car that fit the description of a vehicle involved in a shots-fired incident reported earlier in Chicago.
Oak Park police said the men were being followed by authorities while they drove in the area. Police said that shortly after 8 a.m., the men exited the dark-colored car near the intersection of Jackson Boulevard and Maple Avenue in western Oak Park, and then ran in different directions through the neighborhood. Police said a video from a security camera at a nearby home showed one of the men was carrying what police described as a rifle.
According to Oak Park police, the men were quickly taken into custody, and both were turned over to the Chicago Police Department. Police also said a weapon was recovered.
Chicago police said the stolen car had earlier struck two squad cars and fled west from the 4000 block of West Monroe Street. The car was also wanted in connection with a previous shots fired call in the area, police said.
No information was available about whether they had been charged as of Wednesday morning.
No injuries were reported, and no shots were fired in Oak Park, police said.
Oak Park police stated that gun shots had been reported earlier in the morning in Chicago, and a car fitting that description by Chicago police was spotted in Oak Park. The car was traveling west on Jackson Boulevard, with police following at a slow speed, when the car apparently had a mechanical problem, which prompted the men to get out of the car and run off, police said.
R&B singer Chris Brown, who was arrested in Paris with two other people on suspicion of rape, has been released from police custody, the French prosecutor’s office says.
The police are still investigating the case, the French prosecutor’s office added on Tuesday.
The arrests were first reported by Closer magazine, which said Brown, his bodyguard and a friend were detained after a 24-year-old woman alleged she was raped at the singer’s suite at the Mandarin Oriental hotel on the night of January 15.
The woman said she had met the men at a Paris nightclub earlier in the evening, according to the magazine.